Tuesday, August 30, 2005





You know, how much I love it when they nail the money man!

Rs 63 lakh seized from Kashmiri youth in Delhi

NEW DELHI, Aug 30 (UNI): Police have arrested a Kashmiri youth and recovered a large amount of Hawala money, reportedly meant for terrorist activities, from his possession.


I love this "arrested by the sleuths of the Special Cell" - it sounds so Hollywood.

Sources said Aslam, who resided in South Delhi's posh Greater Kailash area, was arrested by the sleuths of the Special Cell following a tip-off.


An amount of Rs 63 lakh, channeled through 'Hawala', was recovered from his possession. During interrogation, the accused said he received the money from a country in West Asia. Working as a conduit for Kashmiri militants, Aslam had earlier 'transported' Rs 2.25 crore to his benefactors in Kashmir.


Well, not knowing a lakh from a crore, I had to go looking for some currency conversion tables. I found a spot rate and using it and the formula found here I came up with a rough idea how much US (maybe I should say - real money) money this scumbag had. According to my calculations he had $ 1.5 million in his possession and had "transported" an additional amount in excess of $5.6 million.

About Hawala: hawala is an underground banking system based on trust whereby money can be made available internationally without actually moving it or leaving a record of the transaction. Which is the main reason terrorists use it.

That's a lot of suicide soldier fodder passing through illegal channels. Good I'm glad they 'im. I hope they round up a bunch of his friends too.