Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A grim milestone approaches

And why do I feel like the Boston Globe just can't wait to remind us of this sad fact?

US Military deaths in Iraq at 3,973.

As of Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2008, at least 3,973 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. The figure includes eight military civilians. At least 3,234 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers. The AP count is three higher than the Defense Department's tally, last updated Tuesday at 10 a.m. EST.

I found these numbers revealing - not to denigrate their contributions or anything, thank God they are with us in this fight, but you sure can tell who's doing the heavy lifting here.

The British military has reported 174 deaths; Italy, 33; Ukraine, 18; Poland, 21; Bulgaria, 13; Spain, 11; Denmark, seven; El Salvador, five; Slovakia, four; Latvia, three; Estonia, Netherlands, Thailand, Romania, two each; and Australia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, South Korea, one death each.

Since the start of U.S. military operations in Iraq, 29,275 U.S. service members have been wounded in hostile action, according to the Defense Department's weekly tally.

God bless our troops. And may God also bless the troops of our allies.
THE FALLEN SOLDIER
Don't weep for me
O' land of the free,
When it was my time to fall
'Twas for my country's call
'Twas for the land that I loved
That I gave my all,
And for the land that I loved
I did freely give,
And in her freedom
and her courage
I'll continue to live.
Written by Patricia Krull.
Originally dedicated to the men who lost their lives
in another conflict with the Mohammedans,
Somalia.
-end-