Sunday, May 11, 2008

Well, I'm back...

What a week. It took us til 1am Friday morning, but we finally got the book done and off to blurb.com. It was a close call. Not only did Blurb keep crashing on us, there were other technical glitches that gave us fits and worked our last nerve right up to the very end. Phew.


Blurb turns out a great product but it still has a way to go to make it something you can count on for deadline sensitive material. It's great for things like publishing the family photo album or your dad's cookbook, but just realize you're playing with fire when it comes to the senior project and plan accordingly.

Don't cry for me Argentina, though. It wasn't all work and no play. My mentee did have to go to school during the day so I did have a chance to catch up with some of my friends and neighbors. I ate good, too. Ha-ha.

One day, I borrowed my friend's 2008 Jaguar XKR and took it for a spin to go to lunch in Skippack. (You know he's a good friend when he lets you borrow his Jag!) The top was down, the weather was beautiful and my best galpal (the one who's been fighting leukemia for the last three years) was my co-pilot. We had lunch at Brasserie 73 and it will be a day I remember for the rest of my life - it was that perfect.

And if you're ever in the Philadelphia area and find yourself looking for some wonderful haute cuisine Mexican, try La Cava. BYOB, possums! (You can bet your sweet bippy I was ready for an adult beverage after a long day editing text and massaging software with a teenage lunker!)

The trip back east also gave me a chance to scratch my South Indian itch with a visit to the Uduppi Dosa House. Mmm. I enjoyed samosa and uttapam and washed them down with Mango lassi and hot, spicy Masala tea for desert. It was quite good. Longtime DL readers know that I heart South Indian cuisine almost as much as I heart John Bolton. It was a special treat given that good South Indian is thin on the ground out here in Denver. Ha-ha.

And I was thinking of GW over at Wolf Howling that afternoon when my protegee's mother and I ordered the 13 (!) sample microbrew flight over at Iron Hill Brewery. It wasn't mead, GW but we did manage to sample it all. (We'd both about had it with the lunker AND the software by then.)

Needless to say, it's great to be back fighting the Islamic Jihad with you all. So let's get to it!

.....