Saturday, August 23, 2008

Increased security is the order of the day at the Denver Airport

in advance of the Democratic Coronat-Convention.

I was hoping to be able to go into Denver this week and give you an on the scene report, possums - but real life intervened. In lieu of that, and knowing how concerned all my possums are about security, I thought I'd give you a report from the airport.

As you drive into the Airport a portable billboard advises you that your vehicle could be stopped for a random security check. I've never seen that before. Two tow trucks were spotted at the entrance into the east terminal - no doubt to pick up those pesky vehicles left at curbside. No car bombs please in Denver, thank you very much. Usually there is one vehicle and two cops on the departure level directing traffic and moving people along. Today there were 6 vehicles and at least 8 policemen that I could see.

Increased security is visible inside the terminal, too. I saw policemen stationed throughout the ticketing area, both plain clothes and in uniform. For the first time ever, I saw a K9 unit patrolling the Concourse (made me think of the K9 Kafir brigade - see sidebar) and the locker area is marked with a sign saying "Closed for Security Purposes." It too, has a guard stationed outside.

The terminal looks pretty spiffed up, what with red, pale blue (cause nothing quite says USA like pale blue) and white banners. Speaking of spiffed up, all of the TSA people are now sporting royal blue uniform shirts - they look quite snappy.

I haven't seen anyone who is showing visible signs of being a delegate - you know the patriotic garb, political buttons, crazy hats, and their mandatory change you can believe in shirt, but all the employees at the McDonalds were wearing Obama O8 shirts. Which was kind of funny since the guy standing next to me in line was having a helluva time trying to get his server to give him the right change. I don't know if he was amused or not when I quipped: "There's some change you can believe in, my friend."

Well, that's it from the road. Just thought I'd post because I was lucky enough to find a seat by an outlet - always a bonus for the wired traveler.