Saturday, April 12, 2008

How do you solve a problem like Sharia...

Sharia: Coming to a Western Country near you soon?

Bangladesh: Yesterday, modern day denizens of the Religion of Peace took to the streets to fight running battles to protest changes to Sharia inheritance laws. The riots have continued today. Hundreds have been injured in violent clashes over proposed sexual equality laws. What have they got their dervishes whirling about? They were outraged at the idea of women having the same inheritance rights as men. Under Sharia Law, women receive only half as much as men. Think about this:
About Bangladesh and its Sharia: It has one of the worst records in the world for female oppression. Physical attacks are common, sometimes using sulphuric acid, as punishment for turning down proposals of marriage. Fewer than one in ten of the male attackers ever faces justice.


Nigeria: Lesbians get a lashing and it's not a tongue lashing either, possums. Two women in Kaduna, Nigeria have been sentenced to six months in prison and 20 lashes each for having a lesbian relationship.The Sharia court said that Malama Hauwa and Hajiya Ai'sha were violating the tenets of Islam and the teachings of Sharia law. The women claimed in court to have been married for five years. Ai'sha said she had paid a dowry of 5,000 Nigerian naira (£21) to her 'wife' at the start of their relationship. Their relationship came to the attention of the police when Ai'sha became concerned that Hauwa may be about to leave her and demanded the return of the dowry.

About Nigeria and it's Sharia: "Predominantly Muslim states in Nigeria introduced Sharia law, a legal system based on Islamic theory and philosophy of justice, in 2000. The governor in a Muslim state must give his approval for some of the harsher penalties handed down by Sharia courts, such as execution or amputation. In reality the re-introduction of harsh punishments apart from the death penalty has been the main feature of Islamic courts. In Bauchi state alone there are 40 people awaiting amputation of one or both hands for theft."

Yemen: 8 year old "wife" seeks divorce from 30 year old husband. This will make you sick to your stomach. It did me, anyways. She arrived at court by herself to find a judge to hear her case, but because she is underage she can't file suit. A judge heard the case anyway (?) and the husband and father were remanded to jail although no charges have been filed. In her own words: “My father beat me and told me that I must marry this man, and if I did not, I would be raped and no law and no sheikh in this country would help me. I refused but I couldn’t stop the marriage,” Nojoud Nasser told the Yemen Times. “I asked and begged my mother, father, and aunt to help me to get divorced. They answered, ‘We can do nothing. If you want you can go to court by yourself.’ So this is what I have done,” she said. Listen to what the nauseating so-called husband has to say for himself: "Yes I was intimate with her, but I have done nothing wrong, as she is my wife and I have the right and no one can stop me," he said. "But if the judge or other people insist that I divorce her, I will do it, it’s ok.” Get this. The little girl's case is not the first of its kind in Yemen, it is however, the first time a child approached the court herself.

About Yemen and its Sharia: "...item number 15 in Yemeni civil law reads that “no girl or boy can get married before the age of 15." However, this item was amended in 1998 so parents could make a contract of marriage between their children even if they are under the age of 15. But the husband cannot be intimate with her until she is ready or mature.”

Eight years old...
-end-