Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sammenhold on Wheels

I watched the news conference held by President Bush with Danish Prime Minister Rasnussen at Camp David and hoped that I would find an after action report for the Danish serving in Iraq with flythemig29 at Those Wacky Iraqis.

Per your request, flythemig29. You guys ALL rock!

First, how cute is PM Anders Fogh Rasmussen?

Second, how great is it for him to get the Camp David treatment?

I know I was discouraged and had some mixed feelings about the Danes and Dhimmitude after our visit to Copenhagen in April but I also have to admit my slice of Denmark was not that big or all that long. True, I expected a more in your face stance, but that might just be the brash, swaggering American in me. Hah-hah!

I just know I admire the heck out of those Danish citizens who have taken a stand against the Muslim tide: The Danish soldiers who serve, the editors at the Jylands - Posten, Queen Margarethe, PM Rasmussen, the chic, little blonde at the Amber Shop on Stroget that sold my husband and I the bitchin' amber jewelry ensemble that was my birthday gift, the sweet and friendly gal at the Marriott bar, the driver of our tour bus, the friendly guy on the street that bummed a match to light a joint. (I kid you not.)

Tak, my Danish friends. I did truly enjoy my short time in your beautiful country and I hope to return soon. (Okay, you should still loosen up the nanny reins on the internet, but your Carlsberg Beer was life affirming and very much appreciated!)

Here's a snippet from the Washington Post:

Most weeks, the White House sees a procession of foreign leaders, and the past week alone brought the leaders of the Congo Republic, Chile and Honduras through the Oval Office. But only the prime minister of Denmark was granted a meeting and lunch at Camp David with President Bush, not to mention a 10-mile bicycle ride through the Catoctin Mountain woods.

"He's very fast," Anders Fogh Rasmussen observed afterward. "I consider myself a skilled mountain biker, but it was challenging."
Some more pics of the meeting can be found here. (Freaking Blogger has taken a dump again)

Here's the transcript of the press conference.

The Copenhagen Post's recap of the trip.

An interesting form of Sammenhold with the Russians here.

Skol!