Sunday, February 25, 2007

How are the Academy Awards voted on?

Oscar Night Hollyweird Special

It's from the ever questionable and now actionable wICKipedia but it's about Hollyweird so it's probably close enough for the Academy...

Nominations

Today, according to Rules 2 and 3 of the official Academy Awards Rules, a film has to open in the previous calendar year (from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31) in Los Angeles County, California, to qualify.[7]Rule 2 states that a film must be "feature-length" (defined as at least 40 minutes) to qualify for an award (except for Short Subject awards). It must also exist either on a 35mm or 70mm film print OR on a 24fps or 48fps progressive scan digital film print with a native resolution no lower than 1280x720.
The members of the various branches nominate those in their respective fields (actors are nominated by the actors' branch, etc.) while all members may submit nominees for Best Picture. The winners are then determined by a second round of voting in which all members are then allowed to vote in all categories.
[8]

Bonus Oscar liveblogging...mercifully it's only a half hour show
I am watching the AbC's Road to the Red Carpet and may I say that Andre Leon Talley of Vogue should be ashamed of himself. Jennifer Hudson did not need the Batwing treatment. Why am I reminded of Gone With The Wind and Mammy with her red silk petticoarts. Did you know Al Sharpton was related to Strom Thurmond. Did you know al-Sharpton also calls for unity at National Islam Conference. OMG - I'm watching Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt and Patricia Fields now and getting TART BURN. Cameron Diaz. Unmade bed syndrome. Penelope Cruz. Great gal. Great dress. Not the best do for her. Oh no - not Andre Leon again. Lisa Ling is so great on National Geographic. Not so great here. Cate Blanchett looks fantastic. Great hair, dress and makeup - the total package. Ryan Gosling is a great actor and he is a funny guy. This whole thing is so silly to me. Yet here I am, checking it out. Kate Winslet. Pretty and professional. I'd love to get a close up of those earrings. Lisa Ling cutting her off. Helen Mirren. I'm sorry I just don't love her dress. She needs to cover up those old lady chicken breasts with something sheer - otherwise she's a gorgeous dame...Andre's here. Get the hook. Do this year's Oscars seem distinctly lacking in glamour and style? Yikes. And I don't like them being so early in the year either. Sign me. Hollyweirded out.

Back to reality.


Bonus liveblogging:
I didn't get off here before Ellen came on - can I just say that I am so over that gay girl tuxedo thing. And the white shoe thing - please. She needs to button her shirt as well...I think JLo is pregnant. Now the little girl...I really have to go now. Dick Cheney's making the rounds in the Middle East and that usually means somethings up...